Equipment, ingredients, and the making process will determine the quality of tempeh. There is actually traditional way to produce tempeh, but because of the development of technology, people choose to use modern technique which is easier, faster, and more hygienic.
So, what kinds of equipment do we need to for making tempeh? Well, in this opportunity we are going to share to you the tools that we can use for making homemade tempeh. If you are going to make your own tempeh, you may need to read our article. Let’s check it out!
- For making homemade tempeh, there are two kind of scales should be used. First, scale which has low accuracy. This scale is only accurate to scale the materials with minimum weight 50 g. The examples of scale with low accuracy are hanging scale and kitchen scale. Then, you will also need a scale which has high accuracy. This scale can give accurate result when it is used to scale the materials no more than 50 g.
- Room thermometer. Remember that the room temperature for fermentation should be consistent. This is why you must set and monitor the temperature needed so that the fermentation process can be controlled.
- You can use kitchen stove or high pressure stove. It depends on the materials volume. If you just want to make tempeh in small scale, it is better for you to use kitchen stove. Meanwhile, if you want to make tempeh in big scale, you can choose to use high pressure stove.
- Pan for boiling the materials (soybeans) which is made from stainless steel with capacity as you need. This boiling tool sometimes is also used to soak the materials.
- Colander tool/water drainer tool. After soaking or boiling the soybeans, we should drain the beans using colander/water drainer tool. Traditionally, colander is made from bamboo. But in this modern era, you can find differently which is made from plastic or stainless steal.
- Plastic container. You can use it for some purposes such as for soaking process, washing process, as the container, etc.
- Dehuller machine which can be operated manually. This machine usually is used to make tempeh in big enough amount for about 50kg.
- Work table used to clean and cool the soybeans which has been boiled. As we know that after boiled, soybeans should be cool before mixed with starter. This is why you should prepare clean and suitable place for it.
- Aluminium tray to dry the starter material and also place to clean the soybeans.
- Tampah (round container made from bamboo) as the place for mixing the soybeans with the starter. If you don’t have tampah which is made from bamboo, you can use the one made from plastic.
- Work places (indoor rooms) that are divided into several places for different purposes such as: (a) materials storage place or warehouse; (b) kitchen room for boiling/processing (c)place for washing, soaking, and peeling soybeans; (d) place for cleaning, cooling, fermenting, and packing; and (e) waste shelter. Each room should be completed with facilities or equipment that has been adjusted to the needs. For example: water resource, dehuller machine, etc)
- Fermentation room. You should prepare this special room well so that the fermentation process can run well and are not contaminated by the contaminants around. Fermentation room is better set to be dark and the temperature room should also be set. You can set the temperature by using heating tool or fan to help the aeration. If possible, you can also prepare AC there so that you can operate it and adjust to your need to get the ideal temperature for fermentation process. Moreover, you should also prepare the shelves to place the materials which will be fermented.
- Waste treatment facilities.
Remember that in the process of making tempeh, you should pay attention to not only the factor that can influence the tempeh making process, but also the completeness of the equipment. When you already prepare all the equipment needed, the process of making tempeh will run well since you have everything you need.
Just imagine what happen when you miss even only 1 thing. For example you don’t prepare the pan for boiling soybeans. Then, can you finish the tempeh making process? Of course not. This is why before you start making your tempeh, make sure you have prepared all the things you need. In addition to preparing all the equipment, you should also make sure that you have them all cleaned because it will also influence the quality of tempeh.
Well, that’s all the information about the equipment needed in the process of making tempeh. If you need more detail information, you can contact us at:
+62 857 4849 1242
Maron, Donoharjo, Ngaglik, Sleman, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55581
how to make tempeh starter, tempeh production process, commercial tempeh incubator, tempeh troubleshooting, fermented tempeh, how to make chickpea tempeh, tempeh making kit, fermentation process of tempeh